Monday, March 31, 2014

March 24, 2014

Howdy Family and Friends:)

Sorry I am later than normal again today:) Hopefully I don't form a habit of coming late to the library:) We have had some crazy days these past couple of weeks:) This morning, the house that the Millard Sisters are staying in flooded! And the members were out of town. So they woke up this morning around 5:55 with the whole basement flooding. At that point there was about 3 inches covering the whole thing. So that's not good! But luckily, none of their things got ruined! So that put things for our preparation day behind schedule:) Everything is fine though and the water is mostly gone now:) In about an hour we are going to help someone move as well. So if you don't get any letters this week.. I am really sorry! I will do my best but my schedule is a little tight! I hope that everything is going well with you back at home:) I feel privileged to be a part of my family and I am so thankful for each of you:) You lift my spirits whenever I hear from you:) thank you for all that you do! You are in my prayers each day:)

Just a couple of updates from this week:) Michaela had her baby boy! They named him Aiden! He was born on Friday, March 21st at 7:07 pm! He is 7 lbs. 1 oz. He has dark hair and is so stinkin cute! Seriously, I wish I could hold him so bad! haha:) but its ok:) I am learning self control:) haha:)

So we did a lot of walking this past week. Luckily the weather was pretty decent here:) We felt like we needed to stop by at the Ks house (even though we had just taught them the night before). Their cousins from Mississippi came into town that day unexpected and we had no idea! But we were able to randomly walk in and teach them! It was pretty funny when we walked in because Sister King kept saying "I promise! I didn't call them or plan this!" (talking to her cousins) She was really happy that we decided to stop by though because they haven't let missionaries teach them in the past when they have knocked on their doors. So this is about the only way it would have worked:) The Lord works in mysterious ways:)

I had an interesting experience last week.. I was in a lesson where the less active almost died in front of us. It was bad! Sharon had been in the hospital about a month ago and they thought she was getting a little better. Apparently not. We went to see her on Thursday night and she was in an awful condition! It took her about 10 minutes to form one sentence, she was shaking, not coherent at all!, etc.. So we called a couple of people to see what to do and they ended up taking her to the hospital. I was really nervous though because watching someone die on my mission was definitely not on my bucket list.. :) All is well though!

Funny Story. So I have been seriously cravings onions for a while! I know, I'm pretty weird:) So I bought some at the store last week.. and I am not experienced with cutting onions. I don't know any tricks to avoid this.. but I was making myself a salad for lunch one day and thought to include the onion in it:) haha bad choice:) By the time I was done, my makeup had all smeared down my face! I looked like the lady off of Mulan! I will send a picture.. but just know:) It was much worse than the picture shows:) I wiped off most of it before my companion stopped me and took a picture:) and this pic doesn't go on the blog:) haha:) #missionaryproblems! at least it gave us a good laugh:) haha


This past week we did a lot of service! It’s always good for me to remember that I am CALLED to SERVE! I am very lucky to be able to do so much service for people. Christ set the perfect example on how to love others and serve them. I think we try and over complicate things sometimes, but it is really just through small and simple things that make the biggest difference. (Alma 37:6-7) “The Lord answers our prayers, but it is usually through another person that he meets our needs.” (President Kimball)

Short story to go along with that thought. So I was talking with my companion this past week and I was thinking. I really need to get a journal so that I can have one just to write about the people that I meet so that when I am home from my mission, I will be able to remember them. A few days later, this ward member, Sister Broyles comes up to us and shows us this journal that she felt like she needed to make for Mari so that she could write about the people that she comes in contact with. She then proceeded by asking us if she gave us the supplies if we would like to make one on one of our Preparation days!! can you believe that? It was such a small thing but it really showed me that our Heavenly Father is aware of us and concerned with even the details of our lives, because we matter to Him. "If it matters to you, it matters to Him." It was such a tender mercy:)

 It is so cool that we are the Lord's hands. As we follow the quiet promptings from the Holy Ghost, we can give service to, and uplift those that are in need. How cool right? I am so thankful that Heavenly Father trusts me with some of his children here. One other thing that I noticed this week. You are all pretty familiar with this scripture I am sure..
"36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shaltalove the Lord thy God with all thy bheart, and with all thy soul, and with all thycmind. 38 This is the first and great acommandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt alove thy neighbour as thyself." Matthew 22:36-39.
If we are to do this work, we have to love ourselves. You love yourself by forgetting yourself!

I hope that you are all doing well with your conference ensigns and finishing them up:) I am really excited for General Conference!! It will be amazing! Hey, and just in over a month from that, I will see you again:) haha long time, no see:) Until then, keep calm and serve on:) I love you all! sorry if my mind was scatterbrained for this email and that it isn't too packed with adventures..:) haha its been one of those tiring days:D haha

P.S. I forgot to share with you a cool story from exchanges! I almost died! Sister Page was driving and we were at a light and it turned green for us to turn. We started going but then got a strong sudden prompting to stop immediately! We both got it and stopped within like a second and right then, a car zoomed through the light and missed the passenger side by about a foot. (where I was sitting) If we had gone and not followed the prompting, the truck would have smashed right into the Passenger side of the car from the side, right where I was. Pretty cool! I am so thankful that I am being protected and that as we live our lives in a way that allows us to have the Holy Ghost with us, it can be a protector for us and warn us of danger! So don't worry about me, I am following the promptings that I get and I am being watched over and protected! The church is true! The book is blue:) have a good week my friends!

With love,

Sister (Erica) Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment