Tuesday, February 18, 2014

February 18, 2014 - Highlights of my Amazing Life

Hello my dear family:)

I hope that everything is going very well for you! I hope that you had a Happy Valentines Day!! Hope you had a happy birthday ryan!! Maddy, I have a letter coming for you, but with it being President's day yesterday and the mail behind, I am not sure if it will make it on your birthday or not.. If it doesn't I am really sorry!! I had a good last half of the week:) It has been amazing to say the least:) Let me share with you a few of the great things that happened:)

First off.. guess what??!!? it was 64 degrees outside as we walked into the Library!! Hallelujah!!
haha its a very dramatic change to what its been like lately! I am so thankful for the sunny skies here in Omaha today!

So on Valentines day, we went to the temple as our missionary zone!! What a perfect day to have the temple trip fall on:) It was absolutely wonderful! There is nothing like being in the temple and doing the work for ourselves and our family members that have passed on. It is amazing! I was able to give the names out to several fellow missionaries that you sent me so the work was done for all 8 females:) I will send them back to you sometime this week:) There is such a special spirit when you do the work for your own ancestors:) Oh and I was able to see the "new, new" video!! The one that just came out last week apparently! I didn't realize that there was another new one! It was really good:) I liked having a variation and trading between the 2 new ones because I felt like I was able to learn more and get more incites out of it that I hadn't picked up on before:) It was really cool:)

Yesterday was the BEST preparation day ever!!! Not even kidding:) With it being Presidents day, we had a little extra time yesterday due to the fact that we weren't emailing yesterday.. so us and the millard sisters (Sisters Rasmussen and Willis) went to the amazing pizza machine!! It's very similar to a chuck-e-cheese or something like that. There is a big lunch buffet, arcade games, bumper cars, rides, laser-tag, etc:) Haha so we had a blast!! We played a game of laser tag with just us four sisters:) It was awesome!! I had 3 slurpees as well!! Delicious!! It brought back so many great memories with the younger kiddos:) We did a photo at a picture booth while we were there so I will try to send you a pic of that today while im emailing:) haha it was so much fun!! And we got permission to play the dance dance revolution game there:) I won:) haha so that's all that matters:) The Zone Leaders are trying to get permission to get together as a district next pday and go there again.. but im not sure if that will get approved:)

Today we had our last district meeting before transfers so it was pretty sad to know that it was coming to a close. This has been the absolute BEST district of my mission so far! We have gotten really close to the other sisters:) (Sister Rasmussen and Sister Willis) and the Elders. haha I finally remembered to include this.. Elder Demke from Lehi has been one of my zone leaders this transfer:) So that has been really entertaining for all of you that know him:) Haha I have loved it!! The Zone Leaders got permission to go to lunch as a district today which was really fun for a change:) (As a mission rule we aren't allowed to eat lunch or do anything with both Sisters and Elders together) So it was really neat to be able to go today:) We went to a Mexican place called La Mesa:) It is very similar to Guadalahonkeys:) So it was really yummy:)

Yes, transfers are this week.. Im really hoping that nothing changes with my companionship and the other companionships in our district. But.. we'll see what happens:) We will get a phone call sometime on Thursday letting us know what will happen to us for the next 6 weeks of our lives and then transfers will happen about 7:30 on Friday morning. Can you believe its already time for transfers again? This transfer flew by it feels like:)

Oh, some exciting news:) The millard sisters are moving in with us tonight!!! Just for about a week:) The members that they are living with right now have some family coming to stay with them.. so they are coming to stay at our house through next Monday:) So that will be a par-tay!! haha

Funny moment in a lesson this week: We were at a members home, the G’s, and we were teaching about the Book of Mormon. In a verse that we read, the word ignorance was in it. So.. we checked for understanding and asked them what they thought ignorance meant:) Right away, their 3 year old boy answered, "Uh.. Parents?!?" haha we all just about died laughing:) It was a pretty perfect answer:) haha

M T's baby shower is this Saturday! I can't believe that she is already 8 months along! That baby boy will be here before we know it! I hope I'm here to meet him when he comes, but if I'm not, I know that that is Heavenly Father's will. Haha I will just have to come back and visit in a year and a half or so:)

Mari Simpson (the yw preparing to serve a mission) Leaves in like 3 weeks!!! She reports to the Provo MTC on March 12th! She is going down early though to stay with some family:) It is coming quick!! So it is really cool being on this side of the situation and being the one that is encouraging the future missionary to be:) haha It is much nicer!! Seriously, a mission is great!! Do everything you can to live worthy of it because it is seriously one of the best things you could be doing!! I love it:) The work is difficult, but so worth it!

Oh Yea!! How could I almost forget? We had zone training this past Wednesday! We are doing what is called "The Mission Olympics". It is a series of events (sit ups, push ups, stick pull, ladders, and curl ups) that we all compete in. We compete first in our zones and they have a Sister and an Elder that wins from each event. Then they have those winners compete against other zones until we have a champion:) Hope that made sense:) So guess what?? I was the winner for the Sisters in Sit ups!!! (Just for my zone so far) I got 102 in 3 minutes:) I will be competing against 2 other sisters at zone conference this next week. Wish me luck! I'm starting to train:) better late than never right? haha It's a little pathetic:) I was so sore those first couple of days after it! My stomach muscles were honestly torn apart! I couldn't move, it hurt to breathe, laugh, etc:) It reminded me of a horror movie:) or Hell. There was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth going on when it was time to get up in the morning:) haha it took all of our strength to make it out of bed:) haha So mom, on facebook, Sister Weston said that she was going to be posting some pictures from that:) You should look on there and see if any of them are up yet:) one funny moment that she might put a picture on of.. Is of Sister Rasmussen, Sister Winterton, and I doing stick pull with Elder Demke. It took all 3 of us but we were able to win him!! haha It was pretty sweet:)

Thank you for the Valentines day package that you sent!!! It was wonderful!! the owl theme was so adorable!! I loved the hot chocolate! I have actually been wanting some of that!! They don't sell very much hot chocolate here in Nebraska.. Apparently a lot of the brands that we normally get are Utah only.. Weird.. :) But thank you so much!! I loved the letter, card, scarf, mug, candy, talks, etc!! It was perfectly perfect!! thank you much!! haha

Something that stood out to me this past week was in the temple. In a few instances, they are told "go and be happy". In Second Nephi chapter 2, we read that "Adam fell that men might be, and men are that they might have joy." I think we often tend to overlook that last part of the verse. We are to have joy!

Elder Jeffery R. Holland gave a talk titled "The Tongue of Angels" in the April 2007 general conference. In it, he states, "I love what Elder Orson F. Whitney once said: “The spirit of the gospel is optimistic; it trusts in God and looks on the bright side of things. The opposite or pessimistic spirit drags men down and away from God, looks on the dark side, murmurs, complains, and is slow to yield obedience.”    We should honor the Savior’s declaration to “be of good cheer.”   (Indeed, it seems to me we may be more guilty of breaking that commandment than almost any other!) Speak hopefully. Speak encouragingly, including about yourself. Try not to complain and moan incessantly. As someone once said, “Even in the golden age of civilization someone undoubtedly grumbled that everything looked too yellow.”

I have often thought that Nephi’s being bound with cords and beaten by rods must have been more tolerable to him than listening to Laman and Lemuel’s constant murmuring.     Surely he must have said at least once, “Hit me one more time. I can still hear you.” Yes, life has its problems, and yes, there are negative things to face, but please accept one of Elder Holland’s maxims for living—no misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse."

I love that!! So I'm not saying this to make you feel bad if your language or attitude isn't always great:) We all struggle at times to find the hope and happiness that we seek for. But, we should be happy:) Look around:) We are so blessed:) I am so blessed:) I have an amazing family and friends back home that support me:) I have the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation:) and I have a loving Savior that seeks to comfort, strengthen, and love me unconditionally:) I may not be around my mortal father at this time, but my Heavenly Father hears my prayers and watches over my family and I while I'm here. I have so many more things that I am grateful for:) but that would take all day to type out:) I want you to know that I am happy:) Quite honestly, happier than I have ever been my whole life! I am so thankful and privileged to be a part of Hastening the Lord's work!! It is an exciting time to be alive and an exciting time to be a missionary!! There are so many things that we have to be happy and grateful about:) I would challenge you each to take a moment at the end of each day and find something that happened that day that was great:) Find a tender mercy or a miracle that happened that day that showed you that Heavenly Father was aware of you:) There are so many things that happen each day that show this:) I promise you that as you look for the good things, you will be more happy! I have seen this in my own life as I find a miracle or tender mercy each day in my own life:) Heavenly Father is aware of us and He loves us unconditionally:)

I love you!! Have a great week and know that I love you!!

Sister Christensen 

No comments:

Post a Comment