Monday, December 8, 2014

November 3, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

It is always great to hear from you and to feel of the power of your testimonies. You each are such great examples to me and lift me up! I love you! I hope that you had a really great Halloween this past week! We had transfers this past week on Halloween! I am staying with Sister Hirro in the Fairview Ward. I was so happy when they let us know we would be together for another transfer! She is a great blessing in my life and I am learning so much from her! She has had a rough week. We have been running faster than we have strength and she got pretty sick yesterday. So a lot of the day I had her stay in bed and recover. It basically took all of my energy forcing her to rest:) haha:) I noticed a few days ago that she was starting to get sick:) So, I asked her to rest but of course she kept working through it:) and it finally hit:) but, She is feeling a little better today!:) Hopefully it goes away quickly! She is such a great example and diligent missionary!   

We have a new investigator!! His name is Rex and he is 10 years old! He is the grandson of Sister Souder, a member in our ward. His parents are divorced so he bounces around from his mom's house, dad's house, and grandma's house throughout the week. We taught him the Restoration on Wednesday and he really wants to get baptized!! He has been to a couple baptisms before and church many times in the past already! He is so prepared and so strong for a 10 year old boy:) His non member mother gave us the consent to teach him and for him to be baptized but they are still waiting to get permission from the dad. There are some difficult situations going on with that.. but it will all work out ok! He made sure that he was at church yesterday, even with some hinderments along the way! We will be seeing him again on Wednesday so please keep him and his father in your prayers! They could use a lot of prayers right now!  

I was able to go to departing testimonies on Tuesday night! Departing testimonies is where they have all of the missionaries that are going home share their testimonies in a big meeting and everyone can come and say a last good bye. I had a lot of mixed feelings! All 3 of my previous companions are now gone. Sister Peterson got her visa and left for Brazil last Tuesday!! My trainer, Sister Frisina and my 2nd companion, Sister Fulbright both went home this past week. They both completed a full mission:) Sister Rasmussen and Sister Larson were some of my close mission friends that went home as well. It was very hard to say goodbye to all of them. They are great missionaries though and have changed so much in the course of their missions:) I am so proud of them!

For Halloween, we went over to Sister Gray's house and helped her by handing out the candy to the trick or treaters outside on her front porch while she took her children out trick or treating for a little while!:) Her husband is gone on deployment for the military, so we decided to go to her place to help her out. We had to be at our place or at a member home starting at 6 pm that night because they didn't want us out tracting or driving around with a chance of hitting a child.:) After she got back from trick or treating, she made us all some hot chocolate and we played banana grams:) it was a lot of fun! That morning we went to the mission office to drop off our car.. and went visiting teaching to a few sisters:) Other than that, it was basically a low key, normal day:)   

One thing that I have been doing this week, came from a talk that I read. It was from the October 2012 General Conference. I would recommend reading the whole talk, but here is a little glimpse of what it included:) He says, "How do we ingrain this love of Christ into our hearts? There is one simple daily practice that can make a difference for every member of the Church, including you boys and girls, you young men and you young women, you single adults, and you fathers and mothers.
That simple practice is: In your morning prayer each new day, ask Heavenly Father to guide you to recognize an opportunity to serve one of His precious children. Then go throughout the day with your heart full of faith and love, looking for someone to help. Stay focused, just like the honeybees focus on the flowers from which to gather nectar and pollen. If you do this, your spiritual sensitivities will be enlarged and you will discover opportunities to serve that you never before realized were possible.
And President Spencer W. Kimball said: “God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball [2006], 82).
I know that if you do this—at home, at school, at work, and at church—the Spirit will guide you, and you will be able to discern those in need of a particular service that only you may be able to give. You will be prompted by the Spirit and magnificently motivated to help pollinate the world with the pure love of Christ and His gospel."  
I have done that this week. In my morning prayer, I pray that I will have notice an opportunity to serve one of my brothers and sisters, that I will have the courage to follow the prompting, and do whatever is asked of me:) We were driving to a formers house on Friday that we thought that we would try, but along the way, I noticed a guy down a street that we passed. He was outside working but I couldn't tell what he was doing. I had the prompting that I needed to go back and ask if we could help them with anything. So, we did. We turned the car around and asked if we could help them. This was actually a less active family and they let us come in and talk with their family and help them put away Halloween stuff. They have never let anyone in their home before! So this was a huge miracle!! Who knows if I would have noticed them and gone to help them if I hadn't been praying for it and really seeking through the day for my opportunity to come. It's a simple thing but made a big difference for them!

Have a wonderful week! I love you all so much!!

Love, Sister Christensen  

No comments:

Post a Comment